Zorba's "Secret" Piano Page
3 September 2007
Using Howard's "Restor-a-Finish"....
Put the stuff on using 0000 steel wool...
Which rejuvenates tired and dried out finishes.
This view is of the bottom panel which has been rejuvenated,
but the toe blocks and the sliding door have not.
I removed the cheekblocks - found a 1940 penny under the RH one!
The sides of the piano seemed to be the most thirsty.
Doing the inside of the RH cheek.
The backposts looked terrible...
So I gave them a "lick and a promise" to make them look better.
The completed instrument.
Ditto with fallboard and player panel opened.
After doing some on-line research, I applied Howard's "Restor-A-Finish" in the "Dark Oak" variety to the instrument. This product is essentially a stain with some cleaning agents - and it does its job well. Using 0000 steel wool, I was able to scrub off flecks of white paint and other detritus on the finish while the stain eliminated dry spots and scratches. I won't say a miracle happened, but the 89 year old piano sure looks a LOT better!
It looks even better than it did when my wife oiled it right after we got it, and the finish should hold up a lot better. However, I'm planning on a couple of coats of varnish or shellac to lock in the finish and give it some much needed shine.
After all that, I'll probably do some veneer replacement/repair and spot refinish as needed.