Zorba's "Secret" Piano Page
Veneer Work & Annual Tuning.
6 July 2011
The bottom edge of the keybed was quite battered...
So I peeled the veneer off...
And filled the inevitable damage to the underlying wood.
New cherrywood veneer went on...
... and needed to be trimmed after installation.
An up to date picture, after varish.
This was one of those projects that went pretty well overall, but didn't quite turn out the way I had anticipated.
I figured I'd put cherry veneer onto the lower lip of the keybed as an accent, following the rule that "different is much better than almost the same". As it turned out, I ended up with "almost the same" anyway, the bright red cherry color I had envisioned turned out to be almost the same as the original oak - I might as well have used oak!
Still, I'm not displeased, it turned out pretty well despite; and looks far better than the battered oak veneer that had been removed (and kept for future repairs elsewhere). It needs another coat of varnish to bring the shine up to the level of the rest of the cabinet.
Piano Smith came to do his annual tuning. This piano never seems to do the same thing twice. This time, it was 5 cents flat in the mid range, slightly more in the treble - but pretty much DEAD NUTS ON in the bass! He says he's never seen anything quite like it! All in all, a VERY good result.
As I *STILL* haven't even started the repinning job - I had to care for an ailing relative for 6 months - Piano Smith was kind enough to leave me a few flanges to practice on. As I had occasion a couple of weeks ago to play a beautiful Bösendorfer upright - AND a Feurich upright with a magnetically balanced action, these wonderful instruments have given me some additional incentive to get off my tail and start this job! They played just as well as the $200,000 Steingraeber concert grand!