Zorba's "Secret" Piano Page
Resetting Key Dip
21 November 2020
New punching lifter tool and punchings await...
Open her up!
Set fallboard and front panels aside...
Testing key dip with gauge. Note punching lifter (right).
Lift a key to adjust.
Using lifter to pull felt pad...
Makes this job much easier than before.
Holds felt nicely.
Doing the sharps is painful as you have to pull 3 keys for each sharp to be adjusted.
Note Jaras tool to the left. Also note some dirt and crud on my ivories!
Previously used 7/16" gauge (left) and new 13/32" given to me by my piano tuner. See text.
Time to break out the "Ivory Brite"
This stuff will last me forever...
But it REALLY cleans the keys up!
Now I'm to the stage of re-doing some work that I didn't do correctly the first time. For whatever reason, I thought the correct key dip for this piano was 7/16", not the more common 3/8". Well, both my Florida tuner as well as a subsequent to the last time I did this job copy of "The Piano Action Handbook" told me I was wrong. The tuner also demonstrated that my mal-adjustments were causing some borderline hammer blocking. He was kind enough to give me a 3/8" dip gauge block to I could re-do the job.
What little documentation I did last time is here.
So I re-did the job. Had to add paper punchings. I had purchased a couple of bags of thin Chinese punchings to supplement what I already had on hand. The Chinese punchings were virtually useless unless I used a lot of them on each key - which burned through them quickly, but I had enough on hand from previously to finish the job with thicker punchings.
Now here's where it got interesting. I got out my Jaras gauge to do the sharps, and found that I had set those correctly the first time - so where was my head in doing the naturals? With that said, I needed to make minor adjustments to many of the sharps - 15 years have passed since this job was last done, some were slightly low, others slightly high. Fortunately, the keyboard didn't need re-leveling.
Next, the let-off needs to be adjusted. Since the tuner is coming soon, I'm going to wait until I talk it over with him - I was having problems adjusting same on several of the bass notes. This, plus the fact that one of the lead screws on one of the let off buttons broke, inclines me to say that its time to replace all the let off buttons - which is easier than trying to re-felt the old ones.
Lastly, I got out the Ivory Brite and cleaned the keys. Between the granddaughter and the next door neighbor's grandkid, there's going to be a new rule: Wash hands before playing piano!
More to come!